The Starfish Dancer
Rising slowly from the ocean the sun is just beginning to warm the sandy beach. An older gentleman taking a morning stroll and notices a lovely young woman dancing along the water’s edge. Bending, turning and reaching toward the sky – she is graceful and athletic.
Getting closer he observes that she is not really dancing but rather, reaching down and picking up individual starfish and throwing them into the sea. The Gentleman asks why she is working so hard. She explains that the starfish are stranded on the beach and would die if left until the morning sun rose completely.
“But there must be thousands of miles of beach and 1 million starfish. How can your efforts make any difference?”
The young woman looks down at the small starfish in her hand and as she gracefully throws it into the sea says with a very sweet smile, “It makes a difference to this one.” (Loran Eiseley adapted)
Reflection and Prayer
- As we go through this day, you will encounter many starfish (people in need) on your beach. Here’s your dance lesson.
- Pray for the wisdom to see the starfish on your beach – who needs what you can give/offer/share?
- Pray as you to listen to the Spirit to learn what are the next right or loving actions you can take.
- Bend down and grab the opportunity to share in Christ’s Work as a provider of healing and salvation.
- While turning toward the Lord in prayer, throw your words and actions (do the actual helpful work or deed) freely in the air setting others free.
- When the dance is done listen for the applause of Heaven on your beach. God knows and celebrates what you are doing. God knows what a difference you are making with that one.!!