REFLECTION EXERCISE A
In her book, The Experience of Inner Healing, Ruth Carter Stapleton provides an inventory of human needs that can be brought to prayer. The list is helpful for identifying areas in which we need openness and growth. While they are freely adapted here, we are grateful to her for giving the inspiration necessary to compile this inventory. As you read the list, check off what applies to you and then discuss it with God in prayer. What ideas, thoughts or actions come to mind? Keep the list and refer to it each day in prayer, perhaps journal about your experience.
Reflection Questions (Check the areas in which you feel the greatest degree of need.)
- To express love more freely.
- To feel that I am loved by others.
- To accept myself.
- To accept others.
- To find good news in difficult times.
- To forgive those who have hurt me.
- To forgive myself for the wrongs I have done.
- To be a more thoughtful listener.
- To be released from painful past memories.
- To be more open about my inner needs.
- To grow in faith in the power of prayer.
- To establish personal goals.
- To discover purposeful living.
- To recognize that other people’s needs are as important as my own.
- To discover my true identity.
- Discover inner peace.
- To experience the reality of Jesus Christ’s love in my life.
- Add any other they may come to mind.